MTP Kit – Working
The primary drug, Mifepristone is an antiprogestogen agent that helps in stopping the effects of progesterone. It is used for therapeutic extermination of a pregnancy, which takes places in the following process –
- The Mifepristone takes effect by its anti-progestin activity and restricts the formation of the endometrium wall which is in charge of nourishing the fertilized egg.
- Due to this inhibition, the wall that keeps the fertilized egg attached is prevented from establishing, thus leading to detachment of the ovum.
- Mifepristone further ripens and softens the cervix, which assist in making the expulsion process of the conception parts smoother.
The secondary drug, Misoprostol is a prostaglandin E1 analogue in nature and thus possesses ecbolic properties. It causes contractions in the uterus and assists the womb in expelling the detached conception tissues from the body. Misoprostol also contains ameliorating properties that are used for induction of labor, treating post-natal hemorrhage and for prevention of stomach ulcers resulting from NSAIDs (Non-Steroidal Anti- Inflammatory Drugs).
MTP Kit- Administration and Dosage
MTP Kit contains one pill of Mifepristone (200 mg) and four pills of Misoprostol (800 mcg total) for safely terminating an intrauterine early pregnancy. For the purpose of this treatment, 10 weeks of gestation period is considered to be the limited time period where the abortion pills are safely effective.
In case, you have counted your pregnancy starting from the first day of your last menstrual cycle, then you consider medical abortion within 12 weeks.
The MTP Kit regimen includes –
- Ingest 1 tablet of Mifepristone (200mg) with water and wait for one-two days after administration.
- Take four tablets of Misoprostol (200 mcg) and put two-two pills in each side of the mouth.
- Now wait for the tablets to dissolve naturally for at least 30 minutes.
- Afterwards drink water and swallow the remnants of the tablet. (Misoprostol tablets are tasteless; therefore, it is possible for them to be kept in the mouth for half hour).
- OR – you can take the four tablets of Misoprostol and insert them vaginally and put them in as far as your fingers can reach; although it is advisable to administer misoprostol by buccal method.
OR – you can take the four tablets of Misoprostol and insert them vaginally and put them in as far as your fingers can reach; although it is advisable to administer misoprostol by buccal method.
The Mifepristone drug generally doesn’t result in any side-effects in most women; however it may result in light bleeding and cramps.
The Misoprostol mechanism consists of inducing uterine contractions and assisting in removal of conception tissues through vaginal discharge, therefore abdominal cramps and bleeding are the intended side effects from the tablet.
However, some of these misoprostol side effects may affect discriminately. These include –
- Excessive sweating etc.
MTP Kit Precautions
One should not take MTP Abortion pill Kit if:
- You are allergic to Mifepristone and Misoprostol
- You are suffering from hemorrhagic disorders and chronic adrenal failure
- You have ectopic pregnancy (embryo outside the womb)
- You have adrenal porphyria, ovary problem, and uterine problem
- Your pregnancy exceeds more than 9 weeks
- If you are under the age of 18 years
Medicines that interacts with MTP Kit:
- Ketoconazole and Itracnazole
- St. John’s Wort
- Warfarin and Heparin
- Oral corticosteroid drugs like Prednisone and Dexamethasone
MTP Kit Storage instructions
- The medicament should be kept at a room temperature in dark and cool place.
- The medication kit must be stored in clean, dry, and hygienic place
Safety tips to be adopted after an abortion
- Take out all the intra uterine devices before using MTP kit.
- Take nutritive, healthy, vitamin and protein containing diet for a speedy recovery after abortion.
- Consume iron containing diet and supplements to recover from your blood loss or anemia.
- Avoid carrying out any activities that put pressure in your pelvic region.
- Do not have intercourse after an abortion until a doctor gives the approval.
- Avoid inserting any devices or tampons into your vagina as it may increase the risk of vaginal infection.
- Do not take bath in open area and swimming pool as it may cause pelvic pain.
Why one should buy two MTP Kits
We usually advise our customers to order two MTP Kits in case of emergency purpose, even though only one is made use of the abortion procedure. If it happens that a user intakes one MTP Kit during the process of pregnancy termination but regurgitates the medication within 30 minutes, the person’s body may have not absorbed the medication wholly. Therefore, in such situation they may require to take an extra dosage of the medication vomited.
Moreover, if the pregnancy is matured past 8 weeks, then extra medication may be required for abortion. This is due the effectiveness rate of medication reducing from 97% to 88% after the 8th week has passed.
The decision of buying one or two MTP Kits however is solely dependent on the customer.